Monday, November 3, 2014

Live from New York...


     The only thing that rivals my love of fashion, New York,  and writing would be my life long love of Saturday Night Live.  To give you a little glimpse into my life long love- here are a couple of fun facts about my life filled with SNL: Many of my earliest memories involved watching old VHS tapes that my mom had of greats like Dan Aykroyd, Gilda Radner, Bill Murray, frequent guest host Steve Martin, and so many other amazing cast members.  As a matter of fact, when I was in Kindergarden and all of the other girls were Belle from Beauty and the Beast, I went as Connie the Conehead. It was epic to say the least.  The second I was old enough to start playing the August lottery for tickets, you better bet I was all over it and although I have not had the opportunity to see a live taping or a dress rehearsal, it is my DREAM! Really, to be honest, the way I can go on about an episode on Sunday morning, many of my friends have suggested I start an SNL blog, which I have heavily considered. I have never been able to pick a favorite cast member; each season  is filled with talented individuals and it isn't an accident that they make it onto the show at all.
     With Season 40 underway it made me think about how everyone claims their generation's cast was the best. Really I think because of the talent of Lorne Michaels, every season is amazing(even the transition years)- and a talent that only SNL has successfully harnessed is if you revisit episodes from the past, you can tell exactly what America and even the world was enduring in that period of time.   
    So, what does this have to do with fashion, you ask? Saks Fifth Avenue has teamed up with Saturday Night Live and created a trendy collection inspired by many great SNL characters over the decades. Mary Katherine Gallagher, Gilly, the Fabulous Gilda Radner's The Nerds character- they are all represented. One of my favorite pieces that they are offering is of course, the Eugenia Kim Marley SNL Ribbed Wool Beanie. As you can tell from the picture below, there are elements of  the Coneheads characters, but it is still an item that can be an everyday article of clothing.
 
     There are several articles of clothing that are able to be wardrobe staples and represent 40 seasons of pure talent, amazing memories, and comedy that pushes boundaries and moves mountains.  The link is below, so make sure to check it out and tune in every Saturday night.
Remember to follow me on Twitter @GildaRedfashion
As always, Let your Fashionista Flag Fly!
 
     

No comments:

Post a Comment